Burn injuries can be extremely serious. For this reason, you should learn as much as possible about treating such injuries.
A major burn injury
, such as one that results from a home accident or car accident, needs to be treated by an experienced medical team. For this reason, the first thing you should do following a burn injury is call 911.
From there, consider the following:
- Prevent additional harm. For instance, you don’t want to remove clothes that are stuck to the skin. Along with this, make sure the person is as far away from smoke or heat as possible.
- Remove any restrictive items. This can include but is not limited to belts and jewelry.
- Don’t turn to cold water as a remedy. In the event of a major burn injury, cold water immersion is a bad idea. This can cause more harm than good, such as a drop in blood pressure and/or hypothermia.
- Elevate the burn. If possible, raise the burnt body part above the heart.
- Cover the burn. The best way to do this is with a moist, cool cloth.
It’s mentioned above, but worth saying again: Major burn injuries should be treated by Phoenix medical professional as soon as possible.
If your burn injury was caused by the negligence of another party, such as another driver, you may be able to file a claim to receive compensation. Of course, this is something you can think about in the future once you have recovered from your injuries to the point of being able to make clear decisions.